With too many digital security software developers joining the market, how do you know you’re choosing the best one? If you’ve been researching the top software companies to protect your business, chances are F-secure has come up in one of your searches. It’s a leading cybersecurity company based in Finland offering proactive cybersecurity infrastructure for businesses and private users.
So is F-secure good for businesses? In this article, we delve into the reasons that make F-secure a business-friendly cybersecurity solution, as well as our top three recommendations of their award-winning products and services.
What Is F-Secure?
F-secure is a global cybersecurity company pioneering endpoint protection. From antivirus to VPN to business-grade EDR solutions, this company has a wide array of products and services designed to keep its clients safe from the latest cybersecurity threats.
F-secure’s claim to fame is its antivirus’ high detection rate for malware. In 2017 AVTEST, an independent cybersecurity organization based in Germany, tested F-secure antivirus against web and email-based zero-day vulnerabilities and tested a 100% detection rate.
Protection against zero-day vulnerabilities is crucial not just for businesses but for at-home users. Zero-day vulnerabilities are unknown weaknesses that have been exploited by hackers; as such, there are no patches or remedies to the vulnerability. Knowledge of the vulnerability is non-existent until it’s been exposed, at which point some damage has already been done.
Aside from zero-day vulnerabilities, F-secure also has a strong defense system against existing malware and cybersecurity threats. F-secure SAFE, the company’s proprietary next-generation antivirus software for home users, scored 99.9% against 1,780 known threats.
Is F-Secure For You?
On top of comprehensive malware protection, F-secure is known as a straightforward, hands-off option when it comes to cybersecurity. F-secure products are perfect for you if:
- You want minimal disruptions and notifications. F-secure keeps your computer or phone safe without letting you know about it. Traditional antivirus and cybersecurity software constantly ping the user for updates, malware detected, and actions taken. F-secure runs quietly in the background so you can do the work with little to no interruption.
- You have multiple devices running different OS. F-secure is compatible with Windows, Mac, Linus operating systems. It can also be installed on mobile phones.
- You want to perform scans without slowing down your computer. Full computer scans can take up CPU resources and slow down your computer and affect your productivity. With F-secure, a full manual scan can take anywhere from an hour to four hours depending on the number of files you have on your computer. Even with other programs open, F-secure only allocates 20-30% of CPU resources to scanning, so you shouldn’t have any problems running other programs in the background.
- You want resources available for troubleshooting/general tech help. The company has an extensive library of FAQ, how tos, guides, and tips when it comes to their products and services. A community forum also exists where users can ask questions about more nuanced issues and discuss features. Although they don’t offer 24/7 support, users can get in touch with service reps through live chat or live call.
- You’re looking for full business protection. F-secure offers business-level protection fit for SMBs and enterprises. They sell software, as well as hands-off, managed cybersecurity solutions for busy or not-so tech-savvy business owners. They have everything from disaster recovery solutions to antivirus to VPN protection.
Top Three F-Secure Products and Services for Businesses
NGAV: F-Secure Protection Service for Business
Who Is It For: Businesses with multiple devices (computers, servers, mobile phones)
Notable Features: Protection against ransomware with little to no maintenance
F-Secure Protection Service for Businesses is an all-in-one anti malware and cybersecurity package. This comes with a next-generation antivirus, on top of other features that are designed for endpoint protection.
Managers can control everything using a management portal. This dashboard displays updates, notifications, as well as settings that can be synced across all devices through the cloud. This NGAV solution features automatic patch management so your devices can stay protected whenever new updates roll out.
Standard and Premium versions are available to cater to businesses with different needs. The Premium version features script blocking for apps and file access control — both of which are useful against zero-day vulnerabilities, ransomware, and other sophisticated cyberattacks.
This solution is ideal for businesses that need comprehensive protection, but don’t want to hire an entire IT team. The software is designed to run on multiple platforms (no extra hardware needed), with easy installation and zero tech know-how. It’s a great way to keep your network protected, even without constant IT supervision.
Vulnerability Management: F-Secure Radar
Who Is It For: Businesses with multiple online assets
Notable Features: Protection for all assets, including web applications, custom applications, and your business’ intellectual property
Vulnerability management is a proactive approach to cybersecurity. If NGAVs are built to withstand attacks when they happen, vulnerability management software is designed to prevent attacks from happening in the first place.
F-secure’s Radar does this by performing a scan on all assets, including network ports, IP leaks from devices, website threats, and application vulnerabilities. What it does is make sure that your computer network is configured to have the best security measures in place. Radar goes above and beyond by providing browser protection and complete internet security.
As a comprehensive cyber security suite, Radar protects your business on all fronts. It can discover shadow IT or any IT configurations used by staff that aren’t green-lit by the IT department. This can come in the form of unauthorized devices and apps that staff use to complete daily tasks. While these tools may contribute to productivity, unprotected devices can bring down an entire computer network when left alone.
But what really puts Radar in the limelight is its coverage on brand infringement. This vulnerability management system scans the internet for hackers that use your brand assets (logo, trademark, website design) for phishing attempts. This feature not only protects your company but also your user base.
EDR: F-Secure Rapid Detection and Response
Who Is It For: High-risk businesses and organizations in finance, technology, law, education, government; any business that stores high data and is sensitive to data loss, downtime, and hijacking
Notable Features: Proprietary Broad Context Detection dashboard that provides real-time updates and advice on ongoing cybersecurity threats
F-Secure Rapid Detection & Response is an impressive EDR solution ultimately designed to stop breaches and minimize its impact on your computer network. Its most impressive features include:
- Broad Context Detection: This dashboard provides an overview of the ongoing attack and provides a breakdown of affected endpoint devices on your network, its effects, and recommended actions. What makes this dashboard truly impressive is that the solutions are presented in real-time and evolve with the situation.
- Built-in Option for Expert Advice: When problems are too nuanced and too complicated for software analytics, business owners can send incident reports to cybersecurity experts on F-secure’s team and acquire advice and guidance on how to move forward.
- Host Isolation: It cuts off an infected device from the network to minimize the damage in the timeliest manner. This also prevents the hacker from using the host to infect or attack other devices.
- Automated Responses: F-secure Rapid Detection & Response has programmed response actions that are automatically triggered when an attack is ongoing. This ensures that protection is available 24/7, even when there are no teams monitoring endpoint devices.
Choose F-Secure For Your Business
As IT experts, we strongly recommend F-secure for businesses because the solutions are comprehensive without being murky. Their cybersecurity solutions are completely business-friendly, meaning it can operate quietly in the background and get the job done with little to no supervision. F-secure products and services provide the highest level of endpoint protection at the utmost convenience.
Most importantly, you don’t have to be tech-savvy to get the most out of these products. They are ultimately designed to work for you as a business owner, not the other way around.
If you’re having a difficult time deciding which one is best for your business, get in touch with us today and book a free consultation. Our IT engineers at Abacus can help you figure out which F-secure product is the best fit for your needs.